Saturday, December 6, 2008

Today has gone really well

My day has been good, though I must say that the absence of technology feels weird. I woke up this morning and actually found myself at a loss for what to do. I normally eat a bowl of cereal and watch television when I wake up but this morning I cooked some eggs and just sat at the table in silence. I drove to work and was careful not to turn the radio on, even though I really wanted to. I got to work and did my job without interruption, I don’t really have access to radio, television, or amenities like that at my job and so it wasn’t much of a problem adhering to the rules in that environment. At about 4:00 I had the opportunity to get off a little bit early but I actually declined to go home because I knew that if I came home I would just sit around and want to watch television. So I stayed at work for about an hour and a half to two hours and did some small chores that I normally don’t have a chance to get around to. One interesting note is that a couple of guys walked in at one point and were talking about the football games going on today and I had to just stand there and listen to them. This drove me crazy because I love football and I was just dying to know if Florida and Oklahoma won their games. As I write this I still don’t know who won today.
After work I came home and ate some apple pie and cleaned my room. My cell phone died a few days ago and so knowing that I would be doing this project I elected not to recharge it until Monday, so I don’t have access to all my friends telephone numbers. It’s all right though because most of them are busy on Saturdays and wouldn’t be able to hang out anyways. This day has been a really cool experience for me, despite the absence of seemingly necessary devices. I found myself really paying attention to the trees and plants on the side of the road as I was driving earlier today. It’s amazing how many different colors of leaves there are. I normally associate red and orange leaves with New England and the east coast, but we actually have some cool colors here too.

No comments: