Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hey everybody, hope the day has gone well. I’ve had a long day and am very tired but my spirits are high and I am glad that tomorrow I can wake up and watch television and talk on my cell phone. I love technology and I just can’t bear to live without it! I woke up today and did homework all day and really struggled not to turn on the radio or anything like that. An interesting note: I overheard a conversation about the college football games yesterday and I know that Oklahoma and Florida both won, and I actually realize that it wasn’t even that big a deal that I missed those games. It’s kind of cool hearing the score to a game without having to sit down and watch it for two or three hours and get all frustrated if my team loses.
The thing that I have missed most, I would say, has been the ability to turn on the radio in my car as I am driving down the road. I’m not really in my car for that long a period of time on average, I would say no more than an hour a day if you add up all the commutes I do. But I really found myself bored to tears as I was driving, but some really good things came out of this. I actually went the speed limit exactly both days I’ve been restricted from listening to music or talk radio- this project has helped me become a safer driver. I suspect that a lot of people out there get so distracted when they are driving, I constantly hear stories about people who get in accidents and sometimes even kill people just because they were fidgeting with their radio or talking on their cell phone. This begs the question: Is it really worth it if somebody dies or is permanently affected by your two seconds of being distracted?
I have a big day tomorrow: 2 finals and a lot of errands to run. I have to say that this project has not been quite as hard as I thought it would but it has tested my patience and I am glad that I will be resuming my ordinary techno maniacal existence tomorrow! I hope that everybody else has had a good time doing this experiment and learned something from it. I have come to terms with the fact that the media and technology are an integral part of our lives and separating ourselves from it will only get harder in the years to come…

No comments: