Saturday, December 6, 2008

DAY 1. No Media (kind of)

I’ve always thought about what life would be like without all the modern conveniences of the 21st century, including those like telephones, computers, televisions, radios, etc… Until I tried to go without all the forms of mass media involved in my daily life, I did not know how hard it was go a day not using any of them. Even if you try to deprive yourself of all mass media forms, leaving the house makes the task completely impossible unless you live in the forest.
When I woke up on Friday I immediately remembered the task at hand, and did not turn on the television, or listen to music. I laid in bed for about an hour, half asleep, but wondering how I was going to go through the day. Luckily there were some phone calls that I HAD TO make, so I was able to quickly get a little enjoyment out of those. After finishing the call I thought this was a good opportunity to clean up my room some. As I began organizing my desk, my thoughts immediately turned to putting on some music, but then I remembered that was not allowed. Without listening to music, or watching television I cleaned up, then showered.
After getting out of the shower, I was not sure what to do, so I jumped back in bed, and read a book for a little while. Not longer after that I fell back asleep for a few hours out of sheer boredom. I do that often even when I am not trying to deprive myself of mass media, so yesterday falling asleep again was not hard.
When I woke up again a couple of hours later, I basically had completely forgotten about the project, and out of habit, turned on the television. It did not even hit me until about hour or so later that I was not allowed to do that. I quickly turned it off and walked downstairs and cooked myself something to eat.
For the next few hours I just hung out around the house, and finished up some random chores that needed to get done, before going to work to pick up my paycheck. At around 7pm I left the house, and thought I was free, but then realized I had to drive for the next twenty minutes in complete silence without music. That was torturous. I ended up going out with my friends, and go see some bands play a show, so the night was me just hanging out and having a good time. On the drive home I was reflecting on the day, in a silent car, and thinking that actually the hardest part so far has been having to drive my car in complete silence. I get the feeling today, after I post this entry I am going to get the itch to stay on the internet for a little while. We will see if I can hold out.

No comments: