Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 1

Right off the bat i realized this was going to be a hard experiment to adjust to. I woke up rolled over in bed to reach for my cell phone to check any missed messages or texts while i'd been asleep. when i reached over and realized i'd put my phone away to try out this anti-media experiment, i let my hand fall and just laid back down. It gave me time to just lay in bed and think and relax before i actually woke up. I usually kill the first 20 minutes or so when i first wake up scrolling through missed texts or the last ones from the night before, so it was pretty different being able to just lay back and relax before i actually got out of bed.
i pretty much live with my music or my phone attached 24/7, so it felt really weird not having any background music or ringers going off while i got ready for the day. i think it says alot that i noticed this much of difference before the first hour, or before i'd even left my room on the morning of day one of the experiment.
to take it a step further on my way to work i tried to see what it would be like without the radio. i definitely didn't like it. as much of a distraction as today's media can be i usually use music on my drive to work as my unwinding or time to let my mind kind of wander before i have to actually get to work and focus. Listening to music or watching tv, not that i have much time to ever watch tv, but it gives me the opportunity to numb my brain and just vegetate. if anything the drive to work made me notice how the wind was super loud on my convertible top and my breaks made this tiny squeak i'd never heard over my music. It wasn't the best pre-work day drive ever.
throughout the entire day the one thing i noticed was how many times i checked my purse or back pocket to see if i had missed any calls or texts. It felt like there was an extension of myself missing. that feeling you get when you almost drop something expensive or think you locked your keys in your car, or basically just avoided some intense crisis, thats what i felt like all day not having my phone.

No comments: