Sunday, December 7, 2008

A little late to the mix but none the less

So this media depravation thing seems to be somewhat of a big deal for everyone, seeing as how people these days can't seem to live without visiting their myspace account or sending 300 text messages a day, I find comfort amidst the chaos.

Ok, so I'm not normal. Although I do have a myspace account, a cell phone, and seldom watch T.V. I tend to think of myself as a little less media dependent as the next person. Now this may not always be entirely 100% true, but I often day dream of reverting back to primitive times to be closer to nature and become one with the universe.

Enough with the mumbo jumbo, let's get down to business. As far as media depravation goes how did I fare? The best way to measure my productivity is a step by step account of the days starting with Friday.

Now keep in mind I missed class on Thursday and didn't recieve the link invite until 11 o'clock late Sunday night, so you can rest assure that the whole of this assignment kind of slipped my mind. I worked hard to pick up my slack.

So Friday started out just like any other morning. I woke up with a head full of meaningless thoughts which serve to keep me from doing anything productive until I got my lazy behind out of bed. Since I normally don't watch T.V. that is never a problem. I went to work and basically listened to my ipod all day. I just kind of loafed around at KGB_ for about 8 hours looking at random information on the internet, mostly about enlightenment and salvation.

(I want to let people know about the status of my job. I currently work at this place called KGB_ and we basically answer random questions to people in the UK. They give us 10 min. per question and the response must be less than 110 characters long with a close included. The answer must be found online and if no answer is found i can just make it up. Basically I get paid to look at the internet and answer a few questions.)

As my shift comes to a close, I walk outside and reality sets in. I don't have a ride. I bust out my trusty and ever so handy dandy cell phone and just go down the list and start calling everyone to find out what theyr'e doing that night and ask for a ride incognito. All the while I'm freezing my butt off and wandering around aimlessly through the night because i'd rather be moving towards anything than to stand idly by.

Eventually my cousin Julio picks me up at Ingram and we go to the store to buy some beer. Now the rest of the night consists of a lot of alcohol consumption and illicit activities I feel would not be appropriate for a school assignment so I will just go ahead and fast forward a couple hours to what would then be Saturday.

I think it is important to mention that at this point my phone was turned off because I didn't pay it, and is also when I realized this was the weekend of the media depravation experiment. I decided to leave it off. It is really inconvenient to now have a cell phone and i realized i take for granted the power that is so readily availabe to your fingerprints with the press of a button. Seeing as how i didn't have a choice there was no temptation.

Saturday was about as dull as a day could get. I woke up hungover and just stayed in bed and watched the seconds turn to hours. I don't have any clocks in my room, because i feel we are also a race that is socially dependent on time, and by the time i actually got up to go look at one it was already 4 in the afternoon.

I listened to my ipod pretty much all day and spent about 3 hours on the computer trying to fix it becuase it became corrupt for one reason or another. This was very frustrating. Eventually I went to asleep around 1 30 am with the T.V. on because I didn't want to deprive my 2 and 4 year old nieces of their precious Dora the Explorer. Little girls dependent on Dora suddenly become very hostile when they don't get it. I woke up around 5 with a monstrous appetite and got up to cook myself some pre-dawn breakfast. After I got my fill I went upstairs and went back to sleep only to be woken up a few hours later by my older sister's friend who I will call Yv. This girl shows up at my house drunk after going to the club and wakes me up at the worst possible time by jumping in my bed. This wasn't the first time and I am beginning to think it gives her pleasure.

Ok so I know what you're thinking. No, the experiment wasn't a complete failure. I felt this was an excellent representation of much media is in my life even though i make a concsious effort not to.

Eventually it became Sunday and somewhere along the line i ended up here where I am now writing this. Sunday was a little more successful.

No comments: