Sunday, December 7, 2008

Friday, December 5 Chris Garcia

Friday, December 5

I am so media dependent it is not even funny. I woke up and am so used to turning on my computer just to listen to music I almost forgot I was on media deprevation. I didn't use my computer and got ready for my day. I had a class at nine o'clock on Friday morning; as I drove to school I was so tempted to turn on the radio. It is such a routine to want to hear music while you are driving; it is like second nature. When I got to my class I am used to doing lab work and listening to my headphones while I work; not possible on this day. One observation that I made was how much longer the day feels when you aren't so absorbed in using your mass media devices..whatever they are. Well..the weekend just got better and better. I happened to be off of work on Friday and Saturday; what a great time to have the day off when you can't go to the movies or play video games. After my class on Friday I went home and was not sure what to do. Typically I would have watched Espn or NBA TV and just relax on the couch; or maybe play on Xbox Live. Maybe in between get online and check facebook. I felt so bored, I was actually really tired so I took a nap which is something I rarely do. My day just kept getting more and more interesting. I figured if I was doing this media deprivation project I was going to really try my best to not cheat or fall into temptation. I was invited to go out with some friends to the movies and I denied the invitation because of the project. Usually on a weekend I am off of work I would have been at the movies; so I had to improvise. I invited some friends to play pool and hang out; which really worked out. I told them about my project and all night they kept testing me and trying to make me listen to music, play video games, and watch tv. I am proud to say that Friday was a successful day; I was totally media deprived and felt really good about myself at the end of the day. The day really did feel longer and I felt as though I had got more accomplished in that day that on a typical day. Don't get me wrong Friday was a very challenging day, but I survived and didn't cheat.

No comments: