Saturday, December 6, 2008

So far so good!

So from reading everyone else's blog, I think I had it pretty easy yesterday. I really didn't miss media throughout my day. It helped that work occupied a large chunk of time in my day though... My day started out by going to work. I work at starbucks, so the only mass media we really have is the radio. I couldn't turn off the store music, so I was exposed to that. It was christmas music however, which I have to say is more of a torture than no media at all. After work I was tempted to listen to the car radio, I love listening to music while I'm driving. Knowing that my boyfriend would not be home for a few hours, and me being hopped up on too much caffine, I decided that going home to a quiet house was a bad idea. I would be far too tempted to get online or switch on the tv. So I headed to the store. I found a really neat candle holder that I thought would look cool in my bathroom, and thought what the hell, I have plenty of time. So I decided to redo the whole bathroom. I went to lowes and some other stores for paint and decor. I then went home and repainted my bathroom. I know that doesn't sound like too much fun to most people but it was actually pretty entertaining. I havn't had time to be creative in forever so it was a nice change of pace. It turned out really nice, plus in total I only spent 32 bucks :) not bad. My boyfriend was a little suprised when he got home, but I explained to him all my new free time. He laughed at my misfortune and turned on the tv. This led to a small struggle over the remote, I won, Tv went off. Our apartment is small, so if I can't watch tv, he really cant either without exposing me to it. At least I had someone to suffer with :) So with nothing else to do and the day winding down we decided to have a camp out. We made a fire, moved all our pillows and blankets to the living room floor, and opened a bottle of rum. We spent the rest of the night having some drinks and laughing about all the little stories we have. It was actually a really fun evening, so much better than just watching tv for a few hours. So overall my media deprivation has been positive, I had to think about how to spend my time instead of just sitting at home. I was productive and got to spend some quality time with my boyfriend :) I might be crazy, but I kinda like media deprivation so far!

No comments: