Friday, December 5, 2008

Silence is the equivalent of Chinese water torture.

An early write-up from me tonight (well, early for me, since I'm usually up in the wee hours of the morning) with the project just a mere two hours away from my "official" day one. First off, I have found from just this morning that escaping mass media is nearly impossible when living with more than one person. You can control your own belongings, sure, but it's an uncomfortable situation to ask "say, could you stop your life long enough to let me do this project?" Nevertheless, explaining to my grandparents and mother about it, they've been doing their best to help. Anytime I'm in the room for an extended period, my grandparents will shut off the TV or radio for as long as I'm in there, and once the door is shut, they go back.

The only thing I did media wise was use my phone a couple of times (once to get a ride home from school because I was having health problems and to text my friend about what time we're going to head out for the McNay tomorrow) and check the Internet for pizza prices (prior engagement for a party I'm helping to set up). Other than that, I've kept myself avoidant of all my favorite belongings, including gaming systems, computer and that beloved iPod. Out of all of this, I think I miss my iPod/radio the most, as sitting in silence makes me uncomfortable, even when reading. Perhaps its side effect of all the noise that is heard throughout the day, and it's become commonplace to expect it to be there. Besides music, the computer is coming to a close second, as I realized soon enough most of my references and other materials are on my laptop, and I can't access them except to record this.

So, my plan for today was to use most of the time at school for kinesiology, and then go home and sleep off my hard work. Unfortunately, after a little health bout, I ended up leaving early, taking some medication and being knocked out until about 4 this afternoon, getting up long enough to eat, drink and go back to bed. Other ways to pass the time have included studying up on my JFK assassination mythos (conspiracy paranoia is a fantastic hobby) and playing a rousing bout of Go Fish with my grandmother, who managed to win every hand. Bugger. Since she's suffering along with me in the name of my grade, she has since gone to bed, and I'm still up trying to decide how to waste a bit more time until madness sets in and I'm forced to bed or else drive myself insane with silence. I opted to draw, but my muse is in a million places at once with no focus. Reading has been another option, as I have a large collection of late 80s, early 90s into today tabletop RPG books (all of them Shadowrun) including a series of novels from the series. Still the best sci-fi/fantasy mix I've ever seen in fiction.

So, my strategy for tomorrow is simple; heading over to the McNay Art museum with aforementioned best friend, wasting as much time as I can there or anywhere else I might be able to spend time with her, and after that going home and continuing to play various sorts of board games and card games with my grandma. Monopoly already has the lead vote, since I've loved it as a tiny tot, and continue to (I hoard all the one dollars, it's a ridiculous sight to behold) as well as piecing together a puzzle. If all of that fails to keep me busy for the day, then I return to my fight with writer's block and reading old school rpg books.


-BH

2 comments:

Albert Lopez said...

And that was just day one! Hang in there, Brandy. I think you're doing just fine. It's great to see your family chipping in too. I hope they don't hate me because of it LOL.

Demo Thorensen said...

LOL, I don't think so, it's a pretty good exercise. They're happy to help when it comes to my education, so I think it's okay. I think the worst part was my plans falling through and me stuck with "...well, now what?"