Saturday, December 6, 2008

This sucks

Living without media is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I felt like I was one of those people who did not have their morning coffee. Even after I posted a bulletin on myspace and sent out a mass text to all of my friends on Thursday night telling them not to contact me my phone still went off all day yesterday. Knowing that my phone was going off and I couldn't check it was the most frustrating to me. I did give in a little bit though. I checked my text messages just so I could get the satisfaction of knowing what they said, but I did not reply to them. During the day watch t.v. was not that difficult because I had to do homework, but not listening to music was hard for me. Music always gets my day going. I listen to it in the shower, while I am doing my homework, and while I am in the car. Well while I was driving to work yesterday it seemed like the car ride was never ending. First off it was way too quiet. I could actually hear the blinker going off. Then it did not help that everyone was driving so extremely slow and then there was a guy with a flat tire in front of me so I was praying that it wasn't going to explode. I work at TGI Friday's so there are televisions and music playing all the time, but just my luck there were no good games on and this guy that I work with kept playing the same damn 80's songs all night. Not having any type of media just puts me in a bad mood. So when I got out of work last night I could not resist. I just had to listen to something on the car ride home. I know I wasn't supposed to, but it gave me a sense of relief and satisfaction of having some type of entertainment in my life. I have no idea how the cavemen did it. Media is everywhere now so living without it seems impossible. I saw everyone on their cell phones and jamming out in their car and they looked like they were having so much fun. I have never envied so many people at once in my life for having the same stuff as I do, but they could use it and I couldn't.

1 comment:

Albert Lopez said...

Hey, you did good, Erika. There's no shame in giving into temptation after the frustrating day you had. That's what a lot of mass media is there for: to help us forget how crappy everyday life can be sometimes. Escapism plays a very important role in our daily lives and depriving ourselves of mass media only augments that role. You got one more day so hang in there!