Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 2, Finally Its Over!


Day 2 of media deprivation was somewhat easier. I went into work at 8 am and didn't get out until 4:30 which helped because it occupied 8 hrs of my day. It was really really slow call wise but there sure was a lot of mail to work! (Does anyone remember what real mail actually looks like?) Usually reading the news and classifieds helps the day go by a whole lot faster but since I couldn't do that I found myself counting down the hours until it was time to go home. Of course they were playing music at work like they usually do but I ignored it. Luckily we had a meeting and I had some coaching so that helped.

After work I went to go get some food for my boyfriend and me, then I went to his house and forced him not to turn on the T.V. while we ate. We hung out for a bit and then I went home because I decided not to go out and watch the De La Hoya fight, which was probably a good idea because I was told it ended really quickly. I felt a bit lonely at home because I'm always out with my boyfriend on the weekends, but it was OK because I had my dog to keep me company. She was probably happy to be with me because I'm never home for a long period of time. After blogging about my previous day of no media I was starting to get frustrated because I had to work on my 6 page paper that I had all semester to do, but I procrastinated as usual and just started it.

Surprisingly not being able to turn on my T.V. or surf the Internet helped me finish half of it in about 3 hours. It was really quiet and I could actually think clearly of the things I wanted to say. More than likely from now on when I do my homework I'm going to make sure nothing is on but my computer and I'm going to stay away from my instant messenger. The only thing that kind of taunted me was my cell phone going off and the shiny PS3 sitting there alone. All in all I did a pretty good job of ignoring them both and just focusing on what needed to be done.

Finally I got really tired and decided it was time to go to sleep. Usually the T.V. helps me fall asleep faster and it was difficult holding back from turning it on since it was almost midnight, but I didn't cave in and just forced myself to fall asleep.

This final wasn't too torturing after all, I learned that we really do rely on the media world a lot and we don't appreciate it. Sometimes we tend to abuse it and take it for granted. Although, I do have to say being without it for 2 days helped me actually get some work done and helped me remember what silence sounds like. I think our finals should be more like this one, where we actually learn something and aren't tested on a whole semester of which half of it we probably already forgot. Life without media for 2 days wasn'ta ll that bad and I think I'm going to try to live without it every now and then.

No comments: