Saturday, December 6, 2008

Day 1

This media deprivation project has already begun to take its toll on me as of this morning.

Yesterday began like any other morning, except not. I wake up to my alarm going off and immediately remembered the project so I stopped myself before turning on the radio as I got ready for work. I noticed that it took me a lot less time to get dressed in the morning when no radio was on, no morning news was on TV, and no internet surfing occurred. I even had enough time to eat a decent meal before driving to work for once. I was afraid of how driving would be without any music to sooth me but once I was in the car, I discovered that I was more alert about my surroundings such as I would notice how dumb drivers are around here and would road rage just a little bit more. Also, I had the time to think about things as well such as, “I need to wash my clothes when I get home tonight,” or “Why do I always pick the losers?” Once at work, everything went smoothly since I have no leisure time and even on my break from work I’m talking with co-workers.

After work and before the bar hoping was a difficult time though with the long periods of NOTHING to do. I couldn’t call a friend to pass the time as I waited for night to come as well so I found myself napping to pass the time instead of being constructive like cleaning or reading or running. The bar was fun since it was one of the only places that I could listen to music and not be breaking any rules for the project since the music playing happens to be there. After the bar, I went to a friend’s party and that came and went as well and now I am here wondering what to do to pass the time until tonight’s festivities.

Napping doesn’t sound bad either but maybe I should do a puzzle or something; maybe even cure cancer; who knows.

1 comment:

Albert Lopez said...

It's amazing how much more time we seem to have when we're not busy listening to our iPods, watching TV, surfing the Internet, etc. It's also amazing how much easier it is to just lay down and nap instead of doing constructive things, too LOL! I recommend trying outdoor activities during the day. Maybe take a walk outside or read a book in a park; or play frisbee golf... OK maybe not, but there are constructive things you can do outside your house.