Sunday, December 7, 2008

And On The Second Day.....

The second day of the deprivation was not so deprived. We went to breakfast as we always do on Saturday mornings, and on the way there my husband turned the radio on in the truck. I didn't think about it in the beginning, but after a few songs I remembered I was not supposed to be listening to the music. No, I did not take my giant earphones to block the noise either.
We went shopping afterwards to a few places where there was music in the background, but I knew that it didn't count. We stayed out for a couple of hours then headed for home. When we got home, though, I went to the computer only to check my email, but somehow that was not the only thing I did. My fingers began typing away as if they had a mind of their own. I was checking my emails, and as I constantly do, I began "clicking here" and "clicking there" and before you knew it I was surfing the net. Shame on me! The weird thing is that it was like the internet hypnotized me because I could not stop. The next thing I remember, I had been on the internet for about two hours.
Well, then my sister calls me, and asks me if I want to go out to the bar with her. I really did not want to go because I had a lot of homework to finish, and I still could not get off the internet. It has only been a week and a half since her break up, and as a big sister, I could not say no. So, I headed straight upstairs, and you are not going to believe this, but I put on some “getting ready” music. The good thing is that my hair blower drowned out most of the music, and also my husband was going to bed early. So,I turned it off, and finished getting ready downstairs - without music this time.
The last thing I did on this day was to go “club hopping”, but my sister had music on in her Jeep which I was not sure if it counted since I was in a place I had not control of. The next stop was the bars, and of course there was music there. They also had televisions with music video’s playing. The funny thing is that I don’t usually listen to this much music on one single weekend.
Anyway, I did a good job avoiding the other digital technology we were supposed to avoid. Basically, the music and internet were the only two things I cheated on. The better day for me was on Friday, but honestly, I don’t think I would try to attempt this again. It is hard.

written by Patricia Leija

No comments: