Sunday, December 7, 2008

So I thought Saturday was going to be a lot harder than Friday but surprisingly it was not. I think the main reason that it was not as hard was because I had so much studying and homework to do for finals that I didn’t even really have time to do anything else. Plus on top of working Saturday night, all of that took up most of my day. The only part of my day that I would say was hard was the morning because I tend to wake up early and I was bored to death from about 9 to 4pm.
One of the hardest things to give up during this experiment was definitely my phone. I have my phone with me all day and I felt completely naked without it. It was so annoying because the last two days when I did not have my phone I was constantly wondering who had called me or who had text messaged me. It’s so crazy how much I rely on my phone during the day. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have my phone taken away for me or what it was like when there were no cell phones! The second thing that was the hardest for me was the TV. Like I said, I live alone so when I have nothing to do at home I usually watch TV. It takes up my time and it is really all I have to do when I’m home other than homework. So one of the things that I did instead of watch TV was go work out in the gym in my apartment complex. But other than that I admit that I did slip a little on Saturday as well as Friday. But it was not as much as I did on Friday. Using the computer and listening to music were not as bad. The only time I listen to music is in the car and everywhere I went was usually not any more than 15 minutes. And I rarely use the computer for anything else than homework. And I don’t really read for leisure that often so those ones were not as bad.
I think that this experiment definitely helped me a lot. It helped me realize that although these things are not essential in our lives, they are very important. Even though I felt like I would die without my phone or my TV, I know I wouldn’t. It makes me realize how lucky I really am to live in a time where these things are available to us at all times. I know now that I have taken them for granted.

No comments: