Sunday, December 7, 2008

day two

conducting this experiment i knew that giving up television wasn't going to be that much of a challenge and even giving up talking on the phone wasn't going to be that hard. These days almost all of my communication is done through text messaging other than actually seeing the person. As much of a distraction as my cell phone might be it is my life line to the outside world. In between my busy schedule and everyone else's it leaves me completely out of touch and unreachable to the people in my life.
As it turns out i should have let my parents know i was participating in this experiment because they got a little frantic when a minor family emergency happened and then they werent able to get a hold of me. Either im at work or school or at my boyfriends and rarely home, and my schedule changes so much that they cant keep track. they depend on using their cellphones to reach me on mine just as much as i do.
on day two i was at work without my phone, the first time probably since middle school that i didnt have it on me. my grandma got ill and was taken to the hospital in Houston and my parents were concerned because of her other recent illnesses, that they were afraid of how serious this could be. They were calling me because it was the weekend and they decided to drive me and my little sister to houston to go and check on her in person. on top of the panic they were already experiencing then they couldnt get a hold of me. Luckily i live very close to where i work, so my dad just rushed over about a half hour after trying to reach me. I had to leave work early and we all packed up the car and headed to houston.
on the way there i had to take my phone because i couldnt just leave the city and not tell anyone. I cant imagine not having it or living decades ago when i didnt have ready easy access to my boyfriends, or best friends, or managers phone numbers.
as much as i realized my reliance on text messaging and my cell phone i also realized the value.
Here i was riding in the car to houston with my family and it wasn't exactly the best situation for me to be on the phone talking telling my boyfriend or friends about what was happening. But luckily text messaging allowed me to silently and quickly communicate and keep everyone in san antonio up to date about everything.

No comments: