Monday, December 8, 2008

Day 1

Charmaine Baldonado
Prof. Albert Lopez
Intro to Mass Comm.
5 December 2008
Media Deprivation: Day 1
I’m tired. It’s Saturday morning, and I’m feeling irritated. I’ve just spent the past 24 hours without having listened to soothing music, reading magazines, watching television, text messaging friends, or talking to them on the phone. I couldn’t check my MySpace or Facebook, so I have no idea on any upcoming events for this weekend. What am I going to do? Yesterday was such a long day. I had so much free time. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I’m dreading having to do it all over again today.
I woke up yesterday morning at approximately 6 A.M. to get ready for my normal day of work. I rolled over to the right side of my bed and simply turned on my television like I normally do. It was already on the MTV Hitlist channel which plays music videos throughout the day. I totally forgot about the Media Deprivation experiment, but I quickly remembered and immediately turned the television off. I was mad. “This is going to be a bad day” I told myself.
I jumped in the shower thinking to myself, that this experiment shouldn’t be so hard. After all, I’ve endured US Air Force military training. We had no TV, music, cell phones, I-pods, magazines, or the internet for seven weeks, what’s 48 hours, right? I finished with my shower, put on my clothes, fixed my hair, and did my make-up. It was silent the entire time; I thought I was going to go nuts! I had to get out of there.
As I was on my way to work, again, all I heard was silence. I was tempted to phone a friend to pass time, but of course, that’s not allowed either. The only thing I could think about doing was to sing to myself, which I did. I suppose it held me up until I got to work. I parked my orange Suzuki Reno in front of my office; I didn’t want to go inside. Working in my office in silence wasn’t something to look forward to.
It felt like I had been at work for days before I was let off. Music and magazines are what normally get me through the day. On my way home, I was nearly used to the silence that the ride back wasn’t so bad. I was so tired from work that I threw my belongings on the ground and went straight to my bed to take a nap. To my surprise, I woke up at two o’clock in the morning. I was so drained from a borings day of work that I slept the rest of my day away. After peaking at the time on my clock, I laid my head right back down hoping that tomorrow would be a little better. But now I’m awake again, still feeling irritated, and drained. I need to get it together.

No comments: