Monday, December 8, 2008

Saturday night, however, was a different story. Saturday morning I was really craving the radio on my way to work, but once again, held true and did not turn it on. Again work was busy, and I explained to my coworkers why I couldn't sit in the breakroom and eat lunch with them. There's a television that plays all day, and we usually sit and watch the news or Maury or Jerry Springer. They commented that they would never be able to spend a whole weekend deprived of the media. Fortunately, my cell phone doesn't carry internet, so the only way I can surf is at home on my laptop. I was eager to put up all the pictures from the night before onto my pages, but reminded myself that I could do it the next day and that it wasn't of utmost importance to notify the world of my daily happenings. Because I couldn't really use my phone, I was so sad to not be able to talk to my boyfriend. We're used to texting and calling each other throughout the day to say how much we love one another and that we hope our days at work get better. Some of my friends at work were eager to go out dancing that night, so I made plans with them to keep myself occupied. Unfortunately, when I got home, my boyfriend was watching a Britney Spears special on television, and once again, I reminded him of my project. He laughed and told me to go to my room! He was like, "I'm sorry baby. I'll turn it off." I let him keep the tv on though, and I did go to our room to get ready for the night out. The next problem came when he reminded me about the De La Hoya fight. I had completely forgotten that it was on paperview, and he wanted to go see it at his friend, Hector's house. Once again, my poor baby had to be reminded that he too was in on the project. The solution came easily though when HE looked on the internet and found that Boston's Pizza Place and Bar was going to be showing it. We got dressed quickly and arrived in time to a crowded bar. We finally found seating and were able to watch the De La Hoya lose his fight. By the time I got home the girls called and said they were already at Dolce, so I dressed quickly and met them there. I was never so happy to see a DJ in my life and we stood right next to him requesting songs and dancing all night long. The drive home was especially tough as well because I was a little tipsy, and I usually listen to the radio to stay alert on the way home from a night out. This definitely was the hardest part the whole weekend of the media deprivation project. I made it home okay though, and it was long before I fell asleep. Sunday morning, the first thing I did when I got in my car, was play that same song that had come on the radio early Friday morning. La Ley's "Dia Acero" never sounded so sweet. Believe it or not, I didn't get on the internet until today. It was as though the Media Deprivation project helped me realize that I don't have to be online everyday. Maybe every other day though.

No comments: