Sunday, December 7, 2008

Media Deprivation pt.2

Well I had just gotten done with day two of my media deprivation project. It was a really tough day for me as I was a little depressed from my band's show the night before and due to the fact that I was growing sicker with the flu. I woke up tired but I had to go to work by 10:30 a.m. I didn't do much that morning except look at my alarm clock repeatidly and ate a quick breakfast. I went on with my day and left for my job but, little that I knew that I wasn't even supposed to be at work until 11:30 a.m. So now I had even more a bad day because of all of this negativity that was happening to me. I decided to just waste some time in a few stores as I tried to pass this hour without media and wasting money. After about 30 minutes or so, I decided to just take a nap in my car and listen to some music. Yes, I did cheat this one other time but I was already stressed out. I went into work as usual and there was the television with ESPN on and they were showing College Football all day. I was relieved to this since it was something that could keep my mind away from being sick at work. I ended my shift at work and I went home to change clothes and then to go see my dad. I forgot about the media deprivation project on my way to go see my dad and I had listened to the radio in the car during my drive. We went out to go eat at a restaurant and I was able to get a glimpse at some of the t.v. screens. I wasn't able to see much but a few football highlights that I had already seen earlier in the day. I didn't use any other forms of media until I had gotten home later in the night. I was still feeling very ill so I decided to just hang out with my roommates around the t.v. and call it a night.  So yes, I did decide to cheat again.  We just watched a few shows and flipped around some movies for a while.  I think that being deprived of media is very difficult in this day and age. It is hard to avoid if you are around modern civilization. I did feel a little isolated from what was going on around in the world but it didn't really effect my schedule at all. If anything, avoiding media use made me a more productive and social person.

No comments: