Saturday, December 6, 2008

The First Day of Torture


Media really does make the world go round, at least that's what it seems like. Yesterday, (December 5th 2008) was my first day without media. Let me tell you, it wasn't that easy. I planned on waking up early to get started on some last minute homework before finals and my alarm didn't go off. GREAT! I guess that tops off not having media in my life for 48 hours. I get up only to remember I can't turn on the T.V. So I lie in bed for another 30 minutes and finally decide to get up and go shopping. What better way to solve my torment of no media than to go spend money?

As I started my drive to Kohl's I realized that I couldn't listen to the radio either, so I quickly put my stereo deck back into my purse. Now it takes about 10 minutes to drive to Kohl's, but in reality with no music to help time go by quickly I felt like it took me 20 minutes. I never realized how quiet the drive is without music and how clearly you can hear yourself think, I started to creep myself out after a bit with all those thoughts running in my head. On the plus, with it being so quiet in my car I figured out that it was making this weird noise I never heard it make before. I decided to tell my boyfriend when I saw him after work since I couldn't call him (hence no media), which kind of bothered me because usually when something is wrong with my car I tell him right away so he can look at it and fix it before it gets worse.

As my day went on and I finished shopping, I was getting ready for work at home and I noticed that time goes by slower when I'm not watching T.V. So I actually had time to wash and fold some clothes, clean up a bit, and make some lunch. I couldn't believe I did things around the house before work, which I usually never have time for because I'm wasting my time away being lazy and watching senseless day time T.V. shows.

Now it's time for work and once again the drive is quiet and filled with boredom. There's that noise again and I get bothered by it again since I haven't complained to my boyfriend about it yet. Luckily since I go into work at 3 pm it was very busy. I barley had time to breathe which helped because I didn't have to entertain myself by surfing the Internet and reading the news online. My whole job is consumed by technology and using media so it's kind of tough not having to use the computer or phone, but it wasn't fun being bombarded by calls so I guess that helped torment me some more.

Finally I'm off from work and come home only to remember that I had bought my boyfriend a brand new PS3 the day before which is nicely hooked up to the T.V. in my bedroom. Such a pretty new toy and I can't play with it, oh but he can. I didn't want to leave the room because I like lying in bed with my laptop and doing homework so I stayed put and never once looked at the game he was playing. It was hard, but I wanted to stay true to our final and tried my best not to get distracted by him. He would say out loud all the cool things it could do on purpose to see if I would cheat, but I just stuck to finishing some homework. Even though I'm allowed to use my computer for homework, I'm sure this would be much harder if I couldn't use it at all. Imagine having to write everything out and not having the Internet to search for things like back in the day? That would lead to insanity! Thank heavens for technology, without it we would be so lost and in the dark.

So my day came to an end and I fell asleep tormented because I couldn't check my Myspace, use my cell phone for pointless entertainment, or even play with the new PS3. At least I had some satisfaction knowing that I only had one day left of pain.

No comments: