Saturday, December 6, 2008

Media Deprivation pt.1

Well I decided to start my experience of media deprivation yesterday (Friday) and I can't believe how different it was. I like to think of myself as someone that is not dependent on modern technology but I was definetly tested from the start. I quickly realized this early in the day as I looked over at my cell phone in the morning to check the time. I had suddenly remembered that I was not supposed to use media for the next 48 hours due to my assigned project so I decided to give it a try. It was hard to not turn on any music or turn on the television as I was getting ready to go to work. However, I found it a little faster to get ready as I wasn't so distracted by the t.v. and c.d. player. So I just got ready as normal and tried to move on with my day. My drive to work was not filled with alternative radio or experimental music like usual. Instead it was filled with the ongoing sounds of the road and the cold wind cycling around me as I drove with the windows cracked open. I never realized how many noises are actually going on while driving due to the loud music that I am usually listening to. I thought it would be too hard to not look at my phone throughout the day so I decided to turn it off when I didn't need it. I was able to cheat a little bit when I was at work because there was a t.v. displaying a national news network. I was able to catch up on news, events, and sports because of this relieving situation. Other than that, I did not use any type of media. I got home and I fell for the temptation of checking my phone for any messages. Luckily, I did because I did have a few text messages and voicemails from freinds and family. I had a gig this night in downtown, so I decided to cheat again with my project and listen to some of the music that we were going to be playing. I made my way downtown later in the evening so that I can set up for the show. I was surprised and blown away by the christmas lights that were set up in the downtown area. I still had my phone power on and kept it on me as the night went by. I was not able to use any others ways of media since I was just trying to relax for a couple of hours in downtown. After the show, I had just made my way back to my apartment and relaxed with my roommates in a session of social gathering. After this gathering, I just ate and decided to fall asleep. I did realize that there was a difference when we are deprived from the use of media but people can get through it if they have a busy enough schedule to keep them busy.

1 comment:

Albert Lopez said...

Good post, Freebird. BTW, who are you LOL?? That way I can give you a grade for this post.