Monday, December 8, 2008

Media Deprived

Friday Night 11:25 pm.
Media. Radio, internet, TV, phone, text messaging. These are the things that today’s society find necessary. Today a research paper can not be finished without using the internet. Telephone calls are are now over rated and many just result to sending a simple text message. The conversation one has with their parents about going out with friends can simply be shortened to a text message saying “goin 2 da movies wit sum frnds c u wen I get home”. Media has not only taken over society it has also over taken my life.
In my Mass Communications class I am currently media deprived. I have not been able to listen to the radio, watch television, or use my phone for the last fourteen and a half hours. This is by far the hardest project I have ever participated in. I now realize how apart of my life media is. How the little things such as the internet and the radio I take for granted. I know being media deprived sounds easy, but when your used to turning on the radio as soon as you get inside your car or texting your best friend to see what your going to do later on, you find that your life revolves around the media.
This morning when I woke up I was ready to turn on the television and listen to the morning news. When I got in to my car I was ready to turn on my radio to begin singing to my favorite song. When I arrived home I was ready to turn on the computer and surf the web the way I usually do. But when I woke up this morning I took a shower with no music playing. I got into my car and turned the radio off. I came home and for the first time in a very long time I sat down and played a board game with my sister. During dinner my family wasn’t busy watching football or trying to diagnose the patient on “House”. My family sat down and talked. We chatted about our day, school, work, and church.
When I first heard that I was going to be deprived of media for 48 hours I thought that I was going to die and not be able to last. I thought that nothing good would be able to come from this. But little did I know that not being completely surrounded by media I was able to have fun with my sister and actually get to have a decent conversation with my parents and not have to wonder when my friend was going to text me back, or when my favorite show was about to come on.

No comments: