Monday, December 8, 2008

Day 2

Charmaine Baldonado
Prof. Albert Lopez
Intro to Mass Comm.
6 December 2008
Media Deprivation: Day 2
It’s Sunday morning and I’m so happy. I’m relieved from a life of no music, television, internet, cell phones, or any type of media. The past two days were so rough on me. Though Saturday wasn’t as bad as my Friday, I’m still glad that I don’t have to go through that again. Saturday morning I woke up more irritated and upset than I had in a long time. I had wasted my Friday night sleeping because I felt so drained from work. I blame it on the lack of music and media to keep me awake and aware all day.
Again, I showered, and got dressed in silence. Except today, my attitude was a little better. I wanted to be active! I refused to willingly sleep my weekend away, so I went to the nail spa. I spent about three hours at the spa as I relaxed and got a manicure, pedicure, and my eyebrows waxed. It was my day of beautification! By the end of all my treatments, I glanced at my watch to notice that it was only 2 o’clock in the afternoon. What else was there for me to do that didn’t require interaction with any forms of media?
I went to the La Cantera, and $300.00 later, I decided it was time to go home. I called up a few girlfriends to have lunch and gossip about our lives, so we did. We all had such a blast, that they wanted to take it somewhere else. “Let’s all go watch a movie”, Trisstin, my dearest friend said. I wanted to go so bad with the girls, but I knew I couldn’t. I insisted they went anyway. They didn’t need to suffer just because I was.
At 8 P.M. I started on some homework. I typed up a three page essay for my government class, and as I clicked on the Internet Explorer icon, I naturally typed in the URL www.myspace.com into the browser. It was an instinct that I had acquired throughout the years. It has always been the first thing I looked at on the internet every day of my life for the past four years. Luckily I caught myself. It was almost over. I turned in my assignment on to Blackboard Vista and called it a night. I turned off my computer, and lay down. The day had felt just as long as the day before, and I couldn’t wait to wake up and go back to my normal way of life. Media Deprivation, it’s hard, but I’m glad I experienced it.

No comments: