Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 2

The first day of this media deprivation wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but the second day was a lot harder than I anticipated.

The day started off with me waking up with a hang over from the night before and I immediately go to lie out on my couch and watch TV. Once I was on the couch I then realized that I couldn't watch TV and flipped out. When ever you're hung over and have a nice big bowl of cereal in front of you, all you want to do is watch some TV and forget about the war that is going on in your head. I couldn't watch TV on a Saturday morning so what else was there for me to do? Sleep some more!! After sleeping for an hour more, I decided to leave and do some shopping to pass the time. Being in my car and not listening to music was still harder then ever so like I said I would, I sing to pass the time. Along with being more alert when driving and having more road rage when the radio is off, I noticed how bad I sound when I sing. You can never really hear yourself when you’re singing along with the radio. I mean, I can sing pretty well but when there is no other sound to be heard besides your own voice, I sound bad.

I met up with some friends later on and told them about my project and they were, surprisingly, supportive. If they saw me on the phone, they would begin to yell out, “FAIL!! You’re cheating!! FAILURE!!”. The niceness of my friends was starting to wear off towards the end of the night. For example, once I was in the room, they would turn of the TV or stop the music playing but, of course, they would tell me to leave the room to watch TV or throw random things at me. Friends are forever, right?

The night came and I had a party to be at and like the rules states: Music at a party/restaurant/bar is permitted. The party was awesome and everyone around me knew of the project that I was enduring so every once in a while, I would be told to leave where ever I was since someone was listening to the radio or readying the newest SPIN magazine. But once midnight hit, I was being told to call everyone I know and “be free” so I whipped out my phone and called so many people that I hadn't been able to catch up with all weekend. Gossip is apparently a big part of my phone conversations so I was catching up on everything and explaining myself and this project to everyone as well.

I am so glad that this project is over that I am currently surfing the internet and watching TV and talking on the phone all at the same time. I take media for granted way more than I could believe and I will always have media around me by choice. I’m free!!!!

No comments: