Saturday, December 6, 2008

Biscuit Fever

Disclaimer: I wrote my blog this morning around 7 a.m. before falling asleep again. After waking up at noon, there was no time for me to finish editing it and post it before I had to leave. So, this isn’t me just waking up right now… just so everyone knows. Oh, and P.S., I know this is like super long.

Thursday night was the start of my adventure. You see earlier this week, on Monday from what I can remember, my sister decided she was going to accidently spill her glass of water on her four month Macbook. Technology of computers and water really don’t go together and yes, her computer was donezo. Using my excellent argumentation skills ( :] ) I somehow convinced my parents that I deserved the new Macbook over my sister due to the fact that for almost two years I took amazing care of my Macbook. I never get my way, ever, and by some means my parents agreed with my argument and decided I would have to pay for part of the new notebook.

Of course, my dad would take me to the Apple store the night before my media deprivation project began. I spent most of the rest of the night transferring files from my computer to the new one and there was no time to “play” on my new environmentally friendly Macbook.

Friday was a busy day for me. At 7 AM I was woken up by dad who asked me to back up all my files. No forms of mass communications were used but I can honestly say it was very difficult not to get on the internet. So hard in fact, I made myself fall back asleep until my Apple store appointment at 9 AM. The apple store was pretty interesting. All in all I was there to move around hard drives to different computers which took longer than what you would expect. I sat at the genius bar waiting and watching their PowerPoint like movie that gives you cool ideas to do will your Apple products. At 10 AM the store was officially open and ipods started to blare their music across the store. Though I couldn’t help it, I tried my best not to listen to Jack Johnson and his Banana Pancakes.

By 11 AM Friday I had finally made it back home. I started the transfer of files to my new Macbook once again and hopped in the shower to get ready for work. At Noon my mom called and asked for me to get food from Taco Cabana because she didn’t go to work that day due to numerous doctor appointments that day. At Taco Cabana I saw one of my fellow class mates getting into his car. We exchanged small talk and both agreed that the rest of the day would be terrible without any forms of the mass media.
After a very quick lunch with my sister and mother, I was off to work. As an assistant debate coach at Clark High School, I’m pretty much required to know all the up-to-date news both domestic and foreign. I found it rather fun to spill my knowledge about Somolian Pirates without even reading or watching stories that morning. Work ended around 5 PM for me and I drove home wondering how my night would go.

Upon arriving home, I was notified of the fact that my parents were simply just not going to come home that night (which is the most usual things to hear from my parents) and that my sister was going to be out all night. My sister was going on her first 1st date and asked me to help her get ready. It was a fabulous way to distract myself from watching TV or listening to my new Britney CD. My sister left rather quickly and I was alone, with no music, no movie, and no news; I thought I was going to explode.

I called up my best friend Antoinette and we decided to go on a best friend date. You could say we had biscuit fever because there was no question on where we were going to go, Red Lobster. We spent nearly three hours talking, laughing, and eating those delicious biscuits. Afterwards we returned to my house to play a couple of board games and laugh almost all night. I retired rather early that night but I honestly didn’t mind.

Overall the day wasn’t that bad. As long as I keep busy there is no need for media in my life. However, I still don’t like this deprivation. Not knowing the news bothers me just a little and missing the premiere of Britney’s new music video Circus breaks my heart. Today is a very busy day for me. At 2 PM I will be at the Alamodome cheering on the Clark Cougars and their quarter final playoff football game. At 8 PM, I will be at Clark High school cheering on my students at the senior talent show. I hope I keep myself busy enough to not want to listen to the radio or watch TV. On Sunday, I’m traveling to Houston for the day and hopefully will be able to blog about today’s experience.

No comments: